Friday, February 16, 2007

The Lunch Story Continues

Finally we have arrived at the Chinatown Restaurant. We enter and I ask if we can get something to eat (stone ya boot pah yest?) “Dah” the gentleman replies. I ask does he speak English - guh-vahd-etee pah- ung- GLEE-ski? After all, we ARE in a building with the English word “CHINATOWN” printed on the front!! Unfortunately, he shakes his head “no”. I look at my husband (moi mosh) and tell him “Oh Great!” in a sarcastic tone. The gentleman then holds out his hands and opens a door to a closet. “I think he wants to take our coats” I say. The three of us slowly disrobe from our heavy overcoats, hats and gloves and the gentleman hangs them in the coat closet for us. We then follow him to a table where we are given menus…..in Russian of course!! (Kon-yesh-na!) Wait until you hear about our ordeal of ordering the food!!

1 comment:

Christen L said...

hahaha. it's fun enough ordering when an asian restaurant has the meal names in English... this outta be good!