Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Hotel

This is a picture of our hotel, the VM Centralnaya, that I took on our way to lunch. OK........so I was a little crooked when I took it....but we were hungry......and it was cold!! My hands were probably shaking!!! The word on the front of the building says "HOTEL". HA!! If you can pronounce Russian, you will see it reads "Gah-STEEN-yitzah" which means 'hotel'. I know, I know (YAZ nigh-0) (rhymes with high) ....it has SO MANY letters in the word to just say -hotel-. But hey, wait until you get your Russian copy of your official letter from the MOE inviting you to meet a child. The letter says : "DEAR (wife and husband)....... like ours said DEAR Susan and Wayne. The word for "dear" has exactly eleven letters in it!! WOW!! I don't know what they are saying exactly with those eleven letters, but surely it has to be more than just "DEAR"!! HA! It just strikes me as funny!! So now we are off on foot in pursuit of a hot meal!! Stay tuned!! OH LOOK!! I just noticed.....on the very TOP of the building next to the roof, it does say in English (pah ungh - GLEE - ski) ...it says HOTEL!! Wow! I guess I read that Russian correctly after all!!

1 comment:

Christen L said...

Thank you for the comment on our blog. It's fun meeting new people and exchanging links. :) I have added yours to my site. You can add mine, too, if you like. To answer your question, I am in medical school. Frank, my husband, works as a Tax Accountant for KPMG.

I took Russian in high school for two years. Forgot pretty much everything except how to pronounce and spell things. We're planning on taking a class to brush up on some basic conversational stuff as we get more involved in the adoption, but it was fun reading something in Russian. Good pic!

Can't wait to read more...