Thursday, February 15, 2007

Continuing on in Pursuit of Lunch!!

We continued on down the sidewalk in search of a place for lunch. Again, we came upon an open building with lights on inside. It looked like it might be a restaurant. We became hopeful………FOOD!! As we approached the door and entered, I noticed tables. HOORAY, I thought. The man behind the counter looked at us. I said to him questioningly “stone-ye-boot (soft “T” sound….Russians don’t pronounce a hard “t” sound here) we-pit e stone-ye-boot pah yest? (Something to eat and something to drink?) He looked at me and said “Dah, Coffee and Cakes”. I replied to him “Nyet, spy – see- bah”, meaning ‘No thank you’. We turned around and walked back out into the cold. Now, I think “D” is beginning to wonder what we are doing. Are we simply just walking in and out of stores for the fun of it? If so, it has turned out to be not very much fun!! HA!! Now I am beginning to get worried. I see all these words on the buildings, all of them written in Russian, and I cannot find the Restaurant. Now “D” does read Russian, but we don’t know how to ask him to tell us when we come upon the Chinese Restaurant. So….we keep walking down the snowcovered sidewalk in the cold. I am so concerned we will not be able to recognize it, now that we have had two false alarms!! Suddenly, ahead on the left, I see something gold and red. As we take a few steps closer I can see there are some columns ahead next to the front of the next building we are coming toward. My heart gets a little excited……I am thinking “FOOD??? Well, maybe……HOPEFUL we will get food!! Then I see it, 4 gold and red painted oriental columns just on either side of a large black door. “This must be it!!” I exclaimed to Wayne. We had finally arrived, and we were hoping this was the right place. I looked up and above the door was written in large, ENGLISH letters “CHINATOWN”!! Wayne and I looked at one another and burst into laughter!! We worried and fretted we would not recognize the Chinese Restaurant……..and there it was…..as big as life itself…..and of all things……Pa Eng-GLEE-skee (In English)!!!!! I wish I had taken a picture to post, but for sure, I shall get one on the return trip!! HA!! It was very funny!!

1 comment:

Christen L said...

very funny :) glad you found it