Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sightseeing in the City

Just after completing our visit with the little guy, our facilitator decided to take us into town to see some of the downtown area, and to look for a few souvenirs. We looked in a few shops and saw some interesting crafts. They have quite a few artifacts about some natives….like Inuit’s….I am not sure what they are called, but the ethnicity of the Alaskan Eskimo. It makes since that if there were this race in Alaska, that they would also live in Eastern Siberia, as many, many years ago, the lands were connected. Also, during the winter, the Bering Strait is frozen, and I have read some blogs of people who crossed the Bering Strait while it was frozen. I think that is awesome, but, I don’t know about you, but I think I am choosing a different goal in life!! Anyway, we saw several plaques and crafts about Russian-Eskimo type people……I shall have to do more research in this area as I know I am speaking quite ignorantly now!! There were also some beautifully crafted bowls, serving pieces, and tea sets. I saw several sets of Matroyskas, Russian nesting dolls, which I later purchased. I was actually looking for a pair of winter boots to wear while in Magadan. My Nike Shox about froze the bottoms of my feet right off!! I had heard that some boots made from felt, called “VA-linki” were very warm, yet inexpensive. So….off we trotted to the shoe store to look for these warm, felt boots. Well, those of you that know me…..the two words Susan and Shoe store in the same sentence spell trouble!! We arrived at the shoe store, and I was shown the Valinki. They were felt alright……and may I add, NOT very stylish!! Of course, they only cost about 12 rubles!! WOW!! That is less than 50 cents!! Sorry…..it was a great idea, but, I was not in the least attracted to those big, clunky, felt things. I looked around….and Man, oh, Man!! Such cute, CUTE boots did I see!! Now, the good thing in Russia is……the ONLY colors they have are…..brown or black!! ( I did see a Russian woman in Moscow wearing a white pair of boots, but everyone stared at her!!). So…..at least I did not need a pair in all kinds of colors!! HA!! Before Wayne could get me distracted and out of that store, I bought 4 pairs of boots!! They were very comfy and warm, too. I must say….much more comfortable that boots I have tried on in the U. S. I wonder why??? Maybe it has something to do with the temperature and WANTING to keep your boots on!! Sometimes there is method to our madness…….

3 comments:

kate said...

Do you boots have really pointy toes and high, high spiky heels? All the boots here in St. P look like that...

Suz said...

Oh but you should have bought some of the felt ones just for a keepsake! Just 50 cents??

We need pictures of the cute 4 pairs!

Cathy said...

Susan:
You and my daughter Rachel would have a FINE time boot shopping (somehow that genetic trait skipped me!). Hope you were able to pick up some fun rememberances for the boys during your "touring", and surely you bought Wayne a nice fur hat, right??